Chocolate Tahini Puffed Rice Treats (Gluten Free, Dairy Free)
The best kind of treats are the ones you haven’t made in forever! These delicious, puffed rice treats are a copy-cat, marshmallow-free version of one of my favourites: Rice Krispies Squares!
My love of food started at a young age, and I love revamping my favourite recipes into ones that are healthier and easier for me to digest. I find this is a great way to enjoy your favourite foods while making more nutritious, gut-friendly choices.
This recipe came about from the jar of tahini I’ve had in my pantry for the longest time, and the One Degree Organics Gluten Free Sprouted Brown Rice Cacao Crisps I always have on hand as it is one of my family’s favourite cereals. Combined with the tahini and honey, and I’m telling you, you won’t even miss the marshmallows.
The decadent chocolate layer is made using Enjoy Life Foods dairy free, dark chocolate chips and it is the perfect topping. You will feel like you are eating a crunchy peanut butter cup, so good!
The Good Part: You can store the treats in an air-tight container in the fridge for about a week, and in the freezer for 2 months. If storing in the freezer, add a piece of parchment or wax paper between the layers of treats so they don’t stick together.
- 2 tbsp, plus 1 tsp coconut oil (can sub butter or dairy free butter)
- 2/3 cup, plus ¼ cup tahini (can sub any nut/seed butter)
- ¼ cup honey (can sub maple syrup)
- 4 cups One Degree Organics Gluten Free Sprouted Brown Rice Cacao Crisps (can sub any other puffed rice cereal)
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Pinch of salt
- Line a 6×10 baking dish with parchment paper
- In a large pot, heat the 2 tbsp of coconut oil
- Once the coconut oil is melted, add the 2/3 cup tahini and honey. Mix well until creamy
- Add your cereal and mix until all of the cereal is coated in the tahini/honey mixture
- Pour your cereal mixture into a lined baking dish and press down with a spatula to make an even layer (the bottom of a cup works well too!)
- Place your baking dish in the freezer for 5 minutes to harden
- To make the chocolate topping, place a small saucepan over medium heat and melt 1 tsp coconut oil, ¼ cup tahini, salt, and 1 cup of chocolate chips (stir frequently so that the chocolate does not burn)
- Remove the baking dish from the freezer and pour the chocolate topping over the rice treats. Use a spatula to spread the chocolate evenly
- Return the baking dish to the freezer for 25-30 minutes until the chocolate has set
- Cut into squares and enjoy!