Egg Roll in a Bowl (Gluten Free, Grain Free, Dairy Free, Keto, Whole 30)
Egg roll in a bowl is a simple, one pot wonder that gives you all the flavours of an egg roll sans the wrapper. It has become a go-to for me in terms of meal prep and also for a quick, think on your feet dinner since it takes all of 20 minutes to make!
I have always been a lover of Asian flavours…especially when I was pregnant with my first born. I would crave Asian noodles, spring rolls, egg rolls, you name it, I craved it. But ordering take out would sometimes wreak havoc on my insides, so I had to improvise and so I came up with this healthier alternative.
One great substitute that I use with respect to take out ingredients is coconut nectar/coconut aminos for soy sauce. These products are both soy-free all purpose seasonings. Both are sweet and salty as they are made from the sap or nectar of the coconut palms, and combined with salt and apple vinegar. I find these each to be a healthier alternative because in addition to them being gluten and soy free, they are also much lower in sodium.
This dish is packed with protein and flavour which you can adjust both by simply choosing a different protein, any of which would work quite well in this recipe.
- 1.5 lbs ground meat (I used ground veal)
- 250g cremini mushrooms, chopped
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ inch piece of ginger, chopped
- 1 package coleslaw salad mix
- ¼ cup coconut nectar (I used Bragg)
- 2-3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- Salt to taste (I used Redmond Real Salt)
- Heat a pan and add your ground meat and season with salt, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- Brown the meat by breaking it up and cook until it is no longer pink
- Once the meat is cooked, remove from the pan, and set aside
- Add your onions, garlic, and ginger to the pan and cook until softened
- Add your mushrooms and broth. Be sure to scrape up all the yummy bits in the bottom of the pan 😉
- Once the mushrooms are cooked, add the browned meat back to the pan along with the coleslaw mix
- Season with coconut nectar, sesame oil, and rice vinegar
- Stir until all ingredients are combined and serve