Sweet and Sticky Chicken Thighs (Gluten, Grain, Dairy, & Soy Free)
Chicken thighs are a family favourite in my home because they are juicy and full of flavour. As the weather cools, I love preparing chicken thighs in the oven in a cast iron skillet because chicken thighs produce delicious natural pan juices that blend into the sauce while baking. You only need a few minutes of prep time and then you can let the oven do the rest of the work for you!
This recipe uses boneless skinless chicken thighs; however, you can use bone-in skin-on thighs if you like. They work just as well, but keep in mind that they will take 10-12 minutes more to cook.
This recipe is so easy because you can cook the chicken thighs in the marinade which can be prepared either 30 minutes or even the night before. If you don’t have time to marinate, don’t worry! This recipe is so full of flavour, you can get away with preparing the marinade and baking the chicken thighs right away!
I use coconut aminos in a lot of my Asian-inspired dishes. Coconut aminos is a liquid condiment made from the fermented sap of a coconut palm tree and sea salt. Unlike soy sauce, it has a touch of sweetness, but it doesn’t taste like coconut. You can totally sub tamari or soy sauce in this recipe if you like.
Here’s what you need.
- 6-8 chicken thighs
- ¼ cup coconut aminos
- 2 tbsps raw honey
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Sea Salt to taste
- In a large bowl, add all ingredients (except the chicken thighs) and mix until fully incorporated
- Add the chicken thighs and stir, ensuring the chicken thighs are evenly coated
- Once you are ready to cook the chicken thighs, preheat your oven to 425.
- Place chicken thighs together with the marinade in a cast iron skillet in a single layer
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, turning 4 times to ensure the chicken thighs soak up all of that delicious marinade
Serve with your favourite sides, and you are good to go.. Enjoy!