French Onion Chicken Thighs
Looking for a comforting one-pot dinner? Well look no further! These French Onion Chicken Thighs are the perfect one pot dinner that is grain free, gluten free, and packed with protein! I served mine with some sweet potato fries and steamed green beans.
Check out the recipe below!
3 tbsp olive oil
2 large onions, thinly sliced
1 lb skinless boneless chicken thighs
3 cloves garlic, sliced
1/2 cup red wine
1 cup chicken broth
¼ teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ tablespoon dried basil, thyme, and oregano
½ cup shredded asiago cheese
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
Sea salt to taste
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a cast iron skillet or dutch oven over medium low.
- Once the oil is glistening, add the onions and cook on medium low until they reach a dark amber colour, about 1 hour.
- While the onions are cooking, season your chicken thighs with sea salt, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- Once the onions have cooked down and are a rich amber colour, remove from the pan and place in a dish.
- Return the pan to the heat and add the other tablespoon of olive oil. Pan fry the chicken thighs on each side until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side. Remove from the pan and set aside ( You may have to work in batches depending on the size of your pan).
- Add in the garlic, red wine, herbs, and chicken broth to the pan. Scrape any bits that may be stuck to the bottom of your pan.
- Add the cooked onions and the browned chicken thighs. Cover and cook on medium low until the chicken thighs are cooked through, about another 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Top the chicken with the asiago and parmesan, and place under the broiler until bubbly and golden brown.