Cauliflower Mac and Cheese (Gluten & Grain Free)
Mac and Cheese is the ultimate comfort food dish. I decided to make a low carb version using the ever so versatile vegetable: cauliflower!
This dish is easy to make and definitely hits the spot where comfort food dishes are concerned. The creamy sauce is dairy free making this dish not as heavy but still super satisfying.
I added bacon to this dish because well, everything is better with bacon!
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped
- 8 slices of bacon, cooked and chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ¼ cup arrowroot starch
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Sea Salt to taste
- Bring a pot of water to boil and blanch the cauliflower (you want the cauliflower to still be “al dente” because it will cook again when you bake the casserole)
- Once the cauliflower is cooked, strain and place it back into your pot
- Add bacon, ½ cup shredded cheese, butter, garlic powder, onion powder, and sea salt. Mix to incorporate
- Add the arrowroot starch to the coconut milk and whisk to combine
- Pour the coconut milk mixture into the pot and mix well until thickened and the cauliflower is coated
- Grease a 9×13 baking dish and add the cauliflower mixture
- Top with the remaining cheese and bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and golden brown