Paleo, Whole 30 Instant Pot Veal Stew
Hi Friends! I am such a lover of soups and stews…especially when I can make them in my Instant Pot. This mouth-watering and easy to make Instant Pot Beef Stew is sure to become one of your favourite ever Instant Pot recipes! Tender beef, a hearty broth, and veggies…so good!
For those of us with dietary concerns, i.e. me, this stew is naturally gluten, grain, and dairy free making it compliant to paleo and whole 30 lifestyles. It is also versatile in that you can change up the flavour profiles by using different herbs and seasonings, such as sage, thyme, or even coconut aminos.
This recipe works for meal prep or you could pop the leftovers in the freezer for a ready to go meal.
- 2 pounds boneless stewing veal
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and roughly chopped
- 250g mushrooms, sliced
- 5 cups Broya Beef Bone Broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ½ cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons Bob’s Red Mill arrowroot starch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Season the veal with sea salt
- Turn the Instant Pot to SAUTE. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add half of the veal to the pot in a single layer.
- Let the veal brown for 4-5 minutes so they develop a nice brown crust. Turn and continue browning, about 4 additional minutes. Transfer the seared meat to a clean plate and brown your next batch of veal.
- Once browned, add your second batch of browned veal to the plate.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the pot and add your onion, carrots, sweet potatoes, and mushrooms, stirring to coat.
- Add the garlic and stir until fragrant.
- Add the beef bone broth and the red wine. Use a spoon to scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Season with sea salt and add the bay leaf, fennel, and basil along with the browned veal along with any meat juices that have collected on the plate.
- Pour the tomato sauce on top and give everything a good stir.
- Close and seal the Instant Pot. Using the manual function, set the pressure to high and the time to 35 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then vent to release any remaining pressure.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the arrowroot starch and water to create a slurry. Add to the Instant Pot and stir until the stew thickens.