Chia Breakfast Cookies (Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Vegan)
Cookies for breakfast… now that I have your attention, let me put you on to these healthy chia breakfast cookies!
These chia cookies are made with hearty ingredients like oats and chia seeds which make them perfect for breakfast because they will keep you full or even as a satisfying snack whenever you get a craving for something sweet. Their texture is soft and chewy, and the pop of chocolate makes them oh so decadent!
The base of these cookies is a chia gel (like a chia pudding) which is made using dairy free milk (I used almond) and chia seeds. This base gives body to the cookie batter without the addition of eggs or butter.
Ripe bananas give these cookies their sweetness – no refined sugars here – making them the perfect after school treat for the kids that won’t spoil their dinner or have them bouncing off the walls! Dates are a great source of fibre as well and are easy for me to digest which is why I love using them in my baking.
As add-ins, I chose dates, shredded coconut and chocolate chips, but you can add chopped nuts, raisins, pumpkin seeds, the choice is yours..go with what you like!
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- ¼ cup dairy free milk, I used almond
- 1 ½ tbsp whole chia seeds
- 2 tbsp nut butter (I used cashew)
- ¾ cup quick cooking, gluten free rolled oats (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
- ¼ cup shredded coconut (I used unsweetened)
- ¼ cup dates, chopped
- ¼ cup chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life)
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 and line/grease a baking sheet
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, add your dairy free milk and chia seeds. Let them sit for about 7-10 minutes to thicken
- While the chia gel is setting up, add all other ingredients except the bananas to a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Gently fold in your chia gel and bananas
- Spoon 1-2 tablespoon portions onto your baking sheet for each cookie, and gently press and shape each cookie into rounds (the batter will be quite wet)
- Bake until the edges are golden brown, about 15-17 minutes